Project Overview

Prior to the widespread availability of natural gas, gas was “manufactured” through a process of heating coal in specialized ovens. These facilities, called Manufactured Gas Plants (MGP), were common in many urban areas of the United States during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

PSE&G operated an MGP in the Town of Harrison in Hudson County as a base load plant from 1926 until approximately 1963, when it was converted to peak shaving status. The facility was retired from service in 1987. The MGP was decommissioned in 1992 and the buildings and structures were removed to grade surface.

The Site is presently in use by the following PSE&G units and operations.

  • PSE&G Harrison Gas Distribution headquarters;
  • PSE&G Harrison Appliance Service headquarters;
  • PSE&G Fleet Maintenance Center;
  • PSE&G natural gas Metering and Regulating station; and
  • An electric substation for the nearby Red Bull Arena.

In 2018, PSE&G conducted a 10-month pilot project on 1.8 acres of the Site to mechanically and chemically stabilize impacted soils at depth to render the contaminants immobile. This process is called In Situ Stabilization-Solidification (ISS), and involved mixing of soil in place, below ground, with stabilizing agents such as Portland cement and slag. The ISS remedy meets all NJDEP goals and objectives for addressing contamination, is protective of public health and safety, and is less disruptive to an area as compared to full scale soil excavation.

The objectives of this pilot project were successfully met, and the remediated area was restored by November 2018. A remedial action report detailing the work is underway.

Based on the findings and results of the pilot project, the Remedial Action Work Plan for the remainder of the Site is being finalized and planning for future remediation is underway. The next phase of work is expected to begin in late 2019.